2011 has been a great year for me. Quitting my job of 10 years was a big deal. Stepping out from under the umbrella of a steady paycheck into this crazy creative world. My job involves what is usually one of the most important days in people's lives. It's a potentially high-stress situation. And I've had to really look into myself, and realize that my people skills could use some work. So my proudest reviews are ones that say:
"Not only did she capture all the little moments that made our day spectacular, but she did it with heartfelt kindness and openness to our occasion."
"On the day of the wedding, she was a calming force for the stressed out bride"
"I had a bit of anxiety about the engagement photo session, as well as my wedding day in general, and Nadine was extremely professional and calming to be around."
I'm going to take this little moment to be happy and gentle with myself. Yeah, there's been some stress and drama... and I've discovered that the photography world is full of drama. But my husband has been super supportive.
I wish I took more personal photos. I am jealous of the "year in pictures review" that some of my friends have posted. But here are a few highlights in words:
- I went to Las Vegas for a wedding photog convention. I lost $50 gambling.
- I went to Canada for the first time. Toronto was awesome and had amazing food, and I stayed at the place of someone I met on livejournal. (Livejournal is not dead! I refuse to let it die!)
- Andy and I attended my college reunion in Cornell, Ithaca. It was awesome seeing Andy's reactions: "You went to Harry Potter school!"
- Went to Indiana for Knowne World and Dance Symposium
- I did two back to back ballet camps... which did mess up my right knee a bit. The most physically demanding thing I've done in my life so far.
- Went to New Orleans for the first time. It was fun!!!
- And went to boardgamegeek con, which is one of my favorite de-stress vacation.
In all this, I shot 30 weddings and I still cry at weddings.
2011 was a year of changes and awesomeness. Here's to 2012 just being awesome!